The late 18th century mansion set in beautiful parkland, flanked by wooded hills, nestling in a bend of the River Leader. A romantic and beautiful garden open in the summer to the public.
Carolside garden has been cultivated for over 200 years. Today it is best known for its soft and delicate herbaceous planting, striking Delphinium beds and subtle colour schemes, its design of rooms with a Secret garden, Winter garden and Herb garden backed in espaliered pear trees and yellow and white roses. Sweeping lawns lead to an oval walled garden where an Historical Collection of ancient roses is housed including a National Collection of pre-1900 Gallica roses.
Kenneth Cox in his book "Scotland for Gardeners" describes Carolside as "one of Scotland's finest private gardens”.
- Opening Times:
- The gardens are open Saturday and Sundays 11-5 pm, 1st May – 1st August each year.
- Please leave your donation in the honesty box on the wall at the main door to the walled garden.
- Adults £6.00, Children and HHA members free.
- Group visits with introductory talk by arrangement - £15.
- Tours and Gardens open by arrangement:
- Please telephone 0044 1896849272
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dogs are welcome on leads but only in the park please.